The South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ) today announced the jury and trainee jury members for the 2018 WesBank South African Car Of The Year.
Following a vote by the Full membership of the SAGMJ, the following members of the Guild have been nominated and vetted as the jury and trainees for the 2018 competition, and have confirmed their participation:
2018 WesBank South African Car Of The Year Jurors
1. Andrew Leopold
2. Anica Kruger
3. Bernard Hellberg Jr
4. Bernard Hellberg Sr
5. Charleen Clarke
6. Denis Droppa
7. Dirk Gallowitz
8. Egmont Sippel
9. Ferdi de Vos
10. Hannes Visser
11. Janine-Lee van der Post
12. James Siddall
13. Jason Woosey
14. Justus Visagie
15. Lerato Matebese
16. Liana Reiners
17. Lindsay Vine-Smyth
18. Mabuyane Kekana
19. Marnus Hattingh
20. Ray Leathern
21. Reuben van Niekerk
22. Roger McCleery
23. Rubin van Niekerk
24. Sean Nurse
25. Stuart Johnson
26. Wynter Murdoch
2018 WesBank South African Car Of The Year Trainee Jurors
1. Carl Wepener
2. Derek Watts
3. Jeanette Kok-Kritzinger
4. Lawrence Smith
The criteria for jury eligibility includes:
- All candidates must be members in good standing with the SAGMJ.
- A full member must have completed a minimum of two years of Jury training. Full members who do not comply with this requirement will be considered for the jury training programme.
- A jury member must be active in the motoring industry for a minimum of five years.
- A jury member must be an industry-recognised journalist who has participated in the industry by attending manufacturer launch events, and/or by driving test vehicles during the eligibility period.
- Not more than two individual Full Members from the same publication may serve on the jury.
The eligibility period for vehicle ranges that may be considered for the 2018 WesBank South African Car Of The Year competition closes at midnight on 31 August 2017.
Following this, Full members of the SAGMJ will have the opportunity to cast their vote to determine which of these vehicle ranges will be the competition’s semi-finalists, after which the jury will cast their vote on the semi-finalists in order to determine the finalists for the 2018 WesBank South African Car Of The Year competition.
The finalist announcement is scheduled for 19 September 2017, and on 29 and 30 January 2018, the jury will put the finalists through stringent testing.
The 2018 WesBank South African Car Of The Year winner will be announced at an event to be held in March 2018.
The SA Guild of Motoring Journalists is the custodian of the South African Car Of The Year competition since 1986, with WesBank – one of South Africa’s largest vehicle finance institutions – as its headline sponsor since inception. AutoTrader supplies support sponsorship with MAPO Software Solutions once again supplying the electronic voting mechanisms.